Depression is one of the most common mental health conditions and is more than just a low mood. It is a leading cause of suicide and self inflicted injury. It can impact every aspect of your life and can seriously affect the body, mood and thoughts of a person. The feelings associated with Depression are persistent, can be chronic and a person suffering with Depression cannot change the way that they are feeling simply by putting on a smile.
The symptoms associated with Depression include:
- Anxiety, panic attacks.
- A feeling of negativity, pessimism or hopelessness.
- Feelings of guilt, worthlessness, and helplessness.
- Loss of interest or pleasure in activities that were once enjoyed.
- Loss of concentration.
- Loss of appetite / weight loss or increased appetite and weight gain
- Mood swings / Crying spells for no apparent reason.
- Avoidance of family members and friends.
- Insomnia and/or oversleeping.
- Thoughts of death or suicide.
- Low sex drive.
Although there are many factors that contribute to the causes of Depression, the main causes may be a direct result of:
- Lifestyle Influences – Financial or relationship hardships, work troubles, death of a loved one or a sustained injury with long term pain.
- Prescription Medication – Depression can be a side effect experienced when taking medical drugs, constant antibiotic use and/or illicit drug taking.
- Psychiatric and Non-Psychiatric Conditions – This may be a direct result of an infectious disease, alcohol abuse, and/or prescription codeine abuse.
- Other contributing factors include genetics and include low serotonin, dopamine and melatonin levels in the body. Poor brain activity due to fish oil deficiency, low B vitamins and even lack of exercise.
Here at the Natural Healing Centre, our practitioners understand how Depression occurs, how to manage it and how to deliver the most suitable Depression treatment for an individual, without the use of addictive pharmaceutical drugs.
If you are currently receiving Depression treatment, our practitioners are experienced in the withdraw process by using a gradual step down protocol and working together with your medical practitioner, gradually replacing the anti-depressant medication with natural alternatives and nervous system supporting supplements.
Correct nutrition is vital to health and wellbeing. All of the organs in the body rely on the correct nutrients to function at their optimum levels. Nutrients (vitamins, minerals, fatty acids, amino acids, and glyconutrients) can increase or decrease the levels of important chemical hormone type substances in the body influencing toxicity, immune function, inflammation and the blood’s coagulation, all impacting on emotions, moods, depression and depression treatment. A deficiency of any single nutrient can alter brain function and lead to depression, anxiety and other mental disorders. (reference : Nutritional Influences on Mental Health by Melvyn R Werback M.D. A source book of clinical research containing hundreds of trials regarding vitamins, minerals, amino acids and their resulting improvement on these mental conditions).
Once your body is supported, the practitioner will use their diagnostic tools to get to the cause of your depression. Depression treatment will combine many modalities such as: Nutrition, Massage, Natural Anti Depressants, Homeopathy, Life Skills, Counselling, Herbal Medicine, external pathology testing and amino acid therapy as required.
We have Naturopaths and General Practitioner’s working together to ensure a safe, thorough protocol specifically for Depression Treatment to assist you in your journey to full health and well being!